Skip to main content

Interview with Sports Journalist Veronica Commey

A respected name in Sports Journalism in Ghana, Veronica Commey continues to excel in a field. In this interview with me , she talks breaking through and having her first shot at what was an otherwise tough and strict turf, tight working schedules, ethos of the profession, and relationship among other exciting revelations.
“The bad thing about it all is that I do not have a life,” she says … “I don’t go to the club … because when i’m not working, i’m at home.”
Q. How many years have you been practicing as a sports journalist?
A. It’s been a lot of years; it makes me feel like I’m old already.  I have done this for six years. My service was over in 2005, and just weeks after that I got employed at the Ghana News Agency, where I did my service. So I have actually been going up and down for six years.
Q. Does it pay to be a journalist in Ghana?
A. It doesn’t. I keep saying that. I never thought it will pay this little. But what’s been the driving force, is my passion, and tells just how much i love this job.
Sometimes it makes you want to give it another thought and say “is that how I want it to be” because I’m going to grow up, and have a family; we have a lot of people to support.  The passion is what really drives it. If I woke up one day and I’m no longer passionate, I’m sure I will walk.
Q. How easy or difficult is it combining work, school and spending quality time with your family?
A. The bad thing about it all is that I do not have a life. Because I don’t party, I don’t go to the club … when i’m not working, i’m at home. I do work 8 to 5 and it is such that you can’t even schedule correctly all the time. Sometimes there are mid week matches and all of that so what happens is that after work, I do school till say 9pm.
I’m getting home 10:30 thereabout; sleep. I work 7 days a week. Even on weekends when people are relaxing, that is where you have the league matches. And you have to be at the centres, back at the office getting the results, putting the match reports together, getting the scores and all those things. It’s demanding but i enjoy doing it.
vero 2
Q. Was sports journalism something you had always wanted to do?
A. I think growing up I was one of the most confused girls around (laughs). At a point I wanted to be an Air Hostess. Then I wanted to be a lawyer. After SSS, I decided I wanted to be an architect at all cost. I didn’t get to go university immediately after school.  I had a shot at Polytechnic education, to do marketing. My Math has always been that weak so I was really struggling.
But in between, I often would write to letters column of the Graphic Sports. I just wanted to write. So one day, they published two of my articles at the same time and I was excited , one of them was captured under feature and I didn’t even know what a feature was then.  Someday I got a call from someone within, who said okay you have been writing to u,s if you could write that often we could pay you for an article.
And hey I didn’t want the money; I just wanted my article out there. Mr. Yaw Boadu Ayeboafo who happens to be a family friend, spoke with me and said ‘i think you should consider journalism.’ That was the turning point. That was when I decided okay, I’m going to give it a try.
Q. Do you remember what your first day at work was like and where was this?
A. It is Ghanaian Times. I went to do attachment there. I started with the Evening News. It used to be an evening political paper. I told them I wanted to write on sports.
Mr. Emmanuel Amponsah came to our desk and said i needed to do a preview on an Ashgold vs. Raja Casablanca match? It looked challenging. I remembered I had read a number of previews and I had an idea what it was. So I was like let me try; I did, and in the end i was excited especially because he didn’t have to edit much so I felt maybe, I made a good choice after all.
The experience was good enough; hey that was my story in the papers with my byline. I was so willing to do journalism at all cost. I had challenges especially at times you write and the story won’t come out. There was this editor who was not nice at all, and I didn’t like it but through it all, I told myself one thing; i was willing to last.
Q. Having been a sports journalist for six years and counting, what are your thoughts on the quality of sports journalism in Ghana?
A. It obviously can get better. These days … I know a few people might beat me on this one I’m going to say. I think there are too many charlatans in the system that have the opportunity of speaking their minds, and its making it feel like it’s alright. But my understanding of journalism is that it comes with responsibilities.
And it’s not really pretty now. Sometimes when you go out there and have  to tell someone you are a journalist, it’s almost difficult because of the perception they have. There are no longer a few bad ones, there are a whole lot of bad ones just making it look bad. But sometimes these things happen, you look at them and you know it can get better. But how does it get better?
By deciding to know that we are not doing so well or we are doing this well and we still want to get a step further. So its getting to that moment, where journalists would have to do an introspection of what we do and see how best we can improve
Q. At the last Nations Cup in South Africa, you were accused of writing a story, implicating the GFA in a bribery scandal. It turned out you didn’t write the story. How did it feel?
A. I felt surprised about one thing: that when the GFA saw the story they didn’t bother …. They just decided that, there is a certain Veronica Commey we see here so she is the one who wrote it. I felt disappointed especially, because they decided to write a press release and put my name in there without crosschecking.
And I thought for an institution that was almost accusing someone for writing a story without crosschecking, they will do a better job at crosschecking. They didn’t. Beyond that, my understanding was that it’s the hazard of the job, these things happen.
Someone told me a long time ago that if you are a journalist and you don’t make the news sometimes for what you do, you may want to question yourself and ask am I doing the right thing? So I could take it in my strides. I felt bad.
There were days I felt really bad and emotional because I’m human, too. But hey like they say, life goes on. I want to feel around that time Life was meant to go on. So it went on, I moved on afterwards.
Q. Any apology yet from the FA?
A. Maybe they will tomorrow, I’m not so sure. And I’m not surprised. You goofed that much and you don’t mind. It’s okay. And am I expecting that? No i’m not because I have moved on.
Q. Was that the lowest point in your career?
A. It could be because I can’t readily think about any moment in my life, where I felt like ‘okay this is bad’. So it could be.
Q. You are yet to win your first award?
A. I’m not good enough. Come on (laughs).

Q. Let’s get personal. Are you dating at the moment?
A. Oh dear I didn’t expect this one … Am I? … There is so much love in my heart that I know … what if I don’t want to say a yes or no? … I’m thinking about it. I will give you an answer when I want to.
Q. Word of advice to the young people out there, who look up to you?
A. Work hard; work your ass off. It makes such a huge difference. I won’t pretend. Without it, I wouldn’t be here. God has been merciful, I feel like I have been really lucky and blessed. But I have worked hard every step along the way. And if you want to be on TV, I will tell you this is not what I bargained for. I didn’t know I would get there, you get there and the pressure is huge. You should be ready for the big task ahead.
Q. Are there journalists in and outside Ghana that inspire what you do?
A. Yes all those who sit on radio and sometimes say a whole lot of rubbish … they are talking because they have to talk not because they are being constructive, not because they are being analytical, and not because they have to be sincere.
All those rubbish make you want to be better, because you are like I don’t want to be like them; I want to be better than them.
Then all those who speak so well. Recently I listened to Kojo Oppong Nkrumah in the morning and I thought  yeah I give it to him. You listen to people in the industry and they do that well. Kwabena Yeboah … he’s done this for so long, grown a certain followership. He’s kept his credibility intact.
If you are a journalist that’s all you need; credibility.
And beyond sports I had always listened to Kwaku Sakyi Addo. He’s such an awesome journalist. I would jump at the opportunity to work with him. I have even been looking for the opportunity to speak with him, pick his thoughts on a few things but never had it. In fact if I did, I would jump at it.
                    
Q. Last words?
A. I keep trying but at the center of my world, is God.He makes the ultimate difference. You may want to have him close. Just love one another; it makes a lot of sense, Be true to you. It will pay in the end. It will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey from Jane to Efya

Songstress Jane Fara Fauzzier Afia Boafowaa Yahaya Awindor, known in showbiz circles as  Efya  continues to ride up high. Her recent success stories, which include winning Best Female Video at the just ended 4Stye Muisc Video Awards, justify the hope many personalities in the Ghanaian music industry have in her as the next big thing. Efya got introduced to the Ghanaian music scene when she made it as one of 12 finalists of the music reality show “Stars of the Future” in 2008. She placed second in the competition to winner Irene Logan. Efya is a product of Yaa Asantewaa secondary School and University Of Ghana, Legon, where she graduated with a degree in Theatre Arts and Music. Between 2008 and 2011, she was part of the group ‘Irene and Jane’. They released one album “Unveiled” before going their separate ways. After the break up, the then Jane changed her name to Miss Jane and then later, to Efya. Efya got signed to  One Nation Entertainment  in 2011. Her first single after she left th

Sarkodie's 'Ralph Lauren' Staying Power

‘Sarkodie is still the Man,’ reads the headline of a  culart.blog  review following the debut edition of his ‘This Is Tema’ concert in October 2019. The headline might be easy to dismiss but casual observers of the Ghanaian music industry will admit the past few years, especially 2019 was a difficult one for the ‘Lucky’ artiste. Going by his own standards, recent songs he’s released, which are largely considered rotation-heavy, don’t compare to the level of ‘Adonai,’ ‘you go kill me,’ ‘Illuminati’ and or ‘Original.’ In an industry where an artiste’s relevance is based on whether he or she is a hit-making factory, the two-time Ghana Music Awards ‘Artiste of the Year’ winner surprisingly hasn’t lost his star power or become a ‘victim’ of diminished relevance according to the unwritten rules of the industry he finds himself. Sarkodie still rubs shoulders with talents who are enjoying mainstream relevance like Kwesi Arthur, Kidi, Kuami Eugene, Fameye and Stonebwoy among others – w

J. Derobie on his debut EP ‘Nungua Diaries’ and his musical journey

  Ghanaian artiste, J. Derobie is thankful! Thankful for the ability to make a career off his love for music, and the journey he is on. Born Derick Obuobie Jnr., he was discovered through Mr. Eazi’s emPawa Africa project – an initiative to mentor and support emerging African artistes. His song ‘Poverty,’ released on January 11, 2019 earned him mainstream acclaim, and has garnered over 1.4 million views on Youtube.   His talent and co-sign from the likes of Kranium and Popcaan have propelled his craft onto the global music stage.  On July 3, 2020, he released his debut EP ‘Nungua Diaries,’ named after the community he grew up in, and life experiences.  In this interview with GQ South Africa, J. Derobie talks about the themes on the project and the premiere of ‘My People’ on Diddy’s Revolt TV.  GQ: Your debut EP is titled ‘Nungua Diaries.’ Can you speak on one specific thing that has been of great benefit to your career because you grew up in Nungua? JD:  Starting to love music. It all s

Ria Boss on her song soundtracking Michaela Coel’s ‘I May Destroy You’ TV series

  In July 2020, a song by Ghanaian soul singer, songwriter and producer, Ria Boss debuted on HBO, the American pay television network and BBC One, the first flagship television network of the British Broadcasting Corporation. Titled ‘Intro,’ the song plays as Terry (Weruche Opia) and Kwame (Paapa Essiedu) engage in a heartfelt chat in a bathtub in episode 7 of ‘I May Destroy You,’ the critically acclaimed British comedy-drama television series created, written, co-directed, and executive produced by Michaela Coel who also plays the lead role of Arabella in the show. The song is off ‘BORNDAY’ EP – one of 11 EPS Ria released within 11 weeks on her #ThankGodItsRia project between September and November 2018. She produced, mixed and mastered the song herself. Maria Emmanuelle Grace Bossman-Damiba was born in London to Ghanaian and Burkinabe diplomat parents. She was raised in Ghana, and relocated to the United States of America in her late teens. She moved back to Ghana in 2017, and in the

Steve Harvey to host Ghanaian version of 'Family Feud'

American comedian and Television Host, Steve Harvey is heading to the African continent with popular show ‘Family Feud,’  livefmghana.com  can exclusively report. His company, Steve Harvey Global has obtained rights to launch and host Ghanaian and South African versions of the television show. Harvey’s company got the franchise license from Fremantle, a British international television content and production/distribution subsidiary of Bertelsmann’s RTL Group. “Bringing  Family Feud  to Africa has long been a dream of mine,” says Harvey who has hosted  Family Feud  since 2010. “I believe  Family Feud  will become a household name for local South African and Ghanaian families. And this is just the beginning in Africa. I expect this show to lead to multiple media and business projects in and throughout the continent.” ‘Family Feud’ features two families competing to name the most popular responses to gathered survey questions in order to win cash and prizes is one of televisi

Kenyan podcaster Adelle Onyango talks about 100 episodes of her podcast 'Legally Clueless'

In early February 2021, Kenyan Media Personality  and  activist   Adelle  Onyango   celebrated a new achievement  – 100 episodes of her   Legally Clueless   podcast. On the podcast, Onyango documents her journey as an “evolving unapologetically African woman.”  She also shares experiences of Africans around the world.  Since its debut in March 2019,  Legally Clueless  podcast has  grown  to become a chart-topping favourite. It averages about 10,000 plays per week, and has over a million streams in total. Onyango resigned from her  high-profile Kiss FM  job to  focus  on the  podcast . “This  milestone  validates  my  journey, as well as tells other Africans it is possible to come into the [podcasting] space and have agency over their stories,” says Onyango. Legally Clueless  was ranked as one of the most popular podcasts in the East African country in 2019 per a  OnePulse  research, tying with Joel Osteen’s podcast for the top spot. In 2020, following a deal with Trace FM Kenya,  Legal

In 2020 Live Performances Went Virtual

Once considered a marketing gimmick, virtual shows have become the premier musical experience in the past five months following the complete change of the live music industry due to the restrictions presented during the coronavirus pandemic. Said shows have moved from the early days of being streamed largely via low quality smartphones to being well-produced by a professional camera crew and offering fans experiences akin to in-person concerts. The format is regarded as a reliable source of income for stakeholders in the music industry regardless of whether in-person concerts return or not for now. Platforms like CEEK VR, Facebook, Instagram, Fortnite, Youtube and Twitch have made it possible for artistes to visually interact with their fans through performances streamed online. StreamElements, a live streaming service provider reported that users of Twitch watched 1.1 billion hours of content when lockdowns started in March in the US – a new record since the platform was launched in 2

Juliet Ibrahim on her directorial debut and memoir

  Actress, producer and author, Juliet Ibrahim stays winning! Her  career is thriving  in a season marked by job losses, death and delay of projects brought about by the coronavirus pandemic. Even challenges caused by the pandemic instilled in her the need to continuously brave the odds, and keep a positive mindset. “The lockdown made me look at life in a whole different view,” explains the award-winning actress. In September 2020, her directorial debut ‘Every Woman Has a Story’ premiered on Showmax, the video streaming service from pay-TV giant, MultiChoice Group. The drama series follows the lives of five women (played by Juliet, Pascaline Edwards, Beverly Afaglo, Sonia Ibrahim, and Vanessa Gyan) from different walks of life as they journey through challenges of everyday women in the city of Accra, Ghana. Through it all, they have gained the power to tell their stories of joy, happiness, heartbreak, pain, disappointment and love. Her memoir ‘A Toast to Life’ released in July 2019 is

Season four of ‘Revealed With Bola Ray’ previewed

An episode of the upcoming season of popular lifestyle Television show ‘Revealed With Bola Ray’ was exclusively previewed to a select audience Tuesday evening. Held at Front/Back, Osu, Accra, it also afforded the audience a behind-the-scenes look at one of Africa’s most engaging productions on television. The event was attended by known public figures including Kofi Okyere Darko, and Jay Foley. Scheduled for premiere in July 2019, the South African Tourism-partnered season will include a tour of Vilakazi Street in Soweto, Johannesburg, South Africa, famous for housing two Nobel Prize Winners, Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu and the late Nelson Mandela. Interviews on Kaya FM and South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) was also captured in the first episode and behind-the-scenes video. “For me tonight is historic because it is the year of return. Just last week, I was in talks with the Minister of Creative Economy of Barbados and he said ‘We’ve seen the stuff that you

Clare-Hope Ashitey cast as series regular in new American Drama pilot

Ghanaian-British actress, Clare-Hope Ashitey has been cast as a series regular in ‘Harlem’s Kitchen,’ a family restaurant drama pilot by American Television network, ABC. The production is set in a dining restaurant in Harlem and centers on Ellis Rice (played by Delroy Lindo), Executive Chef and patriarch, who runs a successful restaurant with his wife CC (Sheryl Lee Ralph) and three daughters. An unexpected death thrusts the family into turmoil and puts the restaurant’s future in jeopardy as long-buried secrets are revealed. Clare-Hope Ashitey Ashitey  plays the role of ‘Zadie.’ She lives a perfect life, with a perfect little baby and husband. Ivy League educated, she could work anywhere she wants but her her perpetual sense of responsibility brought her back to RICE as the front-of-house manager. The eldest daughter of Ellis and CC, Zadie never wants to disappoint her parents but all of the pressure has lead her into a third-life crisis that could jeopardize everythi